Your fundamental goal as a business is to stay ahead of the competition through innovation, productivity and performance. This is, of course, a lofty and complex goal. A significant contributing factor is the efficiency of your IT operation.
In recent years, cloud computing has emerged as an effective strategy, enabling increased agility, cost control and innovation, and faster time to market. It's now one of the fastest growing areas of IT investment across all industry sectors.
At the same time, defining the cloud transformation roadmap and executing the migration of business-critical applications to the cloud while ensuring performance, governance and security can be a complex task. Designing and implementing a successful cloud strategy requires a third-party service provider with experience in large-scale digital transformation.
Could cloud computing help your organization achieve its business goals? What kinds of benefits might you expect to see? And how do you go about migrating to a cloud platform?
Qualicom Innovations has the experience necessary to answer your questions and to work with you to assess your current IT system and application portfolio in order to establish a roadmap (okay, a flight path) to a custom cloud solution tailored to your unique needs.
We are solution-agnostic and committed to implementing the appropriate technology for our clients. Do you need a private cloud or is public okay? Does your data need to stay in Canada? Which provider would work best for you: Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, etc?
Cloud Consulting Services
Migration is a complex process. For a smooth and successful migration without disruption, it's important to have a comprehensive plan in place. We can assess your readiness for cloud migration, develop a cloud architecture specification, and prepare a project plan for implementation and migration that considers factors such as:
- Legacy application characteristics
- Modernization requirements
- Compliance and security management
- Migration goals and priorities
- Development and operations skills constraints
- Post-migration support
- Cost constraints
Cloud Migration Services
Based on the result of our assessment, we will identify the most effective migration strategy. The Gartner Group defines the following methodologies:
- Rehost ("lift and shift" approach)
- This involves migrating a system or application as-is to the new cloud environment. The focus is to make as few changes to the underlying system as possible; in other words, redeploy applications to a different hardware environment and change the application’s infrastructure configuration. Rehosting an application without making changes to its architecture can provide a fast cloud migration solution.
- Run applications on a cloud provider’s infrastructure. The primary advantage is blending familiarity with innovation as a backward-compatible Platform as a Service (PaaS) lets developers reuse the languages, frameworks and containers they have invested in, thus leveraging code the organization considers strategic. This approach requires a significant change and re-engineering of the system or application logic to better suit the new cloud environment and fully make use of all its features. Refactoring allows you to think about existing application and leverage cloud-native services and features, either from a code or architecture perspective. When complete, however, this application is fully optimized to take full advantage of cloud native features.
- Revise or re-platform (the "lift, shift and optimize (LSO) approach)
- This approach modifies or extends the existing code base to support legacy modernization requirements, then uses rehost or refactor options to deploy it to the cloud. It enables organizations to optimize their applications to leverage the cloud characteristics of the provider’s infrastructure.
- This approach rebuilds the solution on PaaS, discarding code for existing applications and rearchitecting the applications. As the name suggests, legacy applications are discarded and re-developed using cloud services and features. Although familiarity with the existing code and frameworks is lost, it delivers access to the innovative features in the provider’s platform.
- Replace or repurchase
- This discards and replaces an existing application (or set of applications) in order to use commercial software delivered as a service. This option avoids investment in mobilizing a development team when requirements for a business function change quickly. For example, SalesForce.com or Office 365.
As a part of our migration and post-migration services, Qualicom Innovations can help and support you to leverage the different types of cloud services available:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): Managed infrastructure including network, storage and servers to support both production and non-production applications environments.
- Platform as a services (PaaS): Fully automated, agile, and rapid provisioning of the development environment.
- Software as a services (SaaS): Custom-built applications that to cater to business process requirements.